Friday, January 20, 2017

I come in peace

Blogging or Facebooking is not a feigned attempt at hiding my true self from my friends and family. I'm not throwing my rants out for the world to read then ducking behind some imaginary wall to avoid the egg throwing. Yes, I was accused of this. I use blogging as an outlet like some use art, sex, or music. Blogging helps me sort my thoughts and put in order things I cannot find a rhyme or reason or simple understanding. Most times its just to rant. Yeah I am pretty opinionated and if you want to converse about my written opinions over a beer/wine/cheese fries, I'm happy to, just ask! My opinions are never meant to hurt anyone's feelings or be judgmental or insinuate stupidity or raise hackles in any way. Yes, I was accused of this, too. Honestly, if I am going to attack your intelligence I will tag you :) I don't make it a habit to verbalize my perspective to change the minds of those who's opinions differ. I do it to provide a different perspective and raise awareness that there is more than one point of view out there in the big blue world.

My opinions are based on my feelings, thoughts, and perceptions of the events that I witness taking place around me (on the TV, heard on the radio, or read somewhere along the way). Sometimes my reaction is immediate. Sometimes not. I have to add of course, I have a problem when I see others believing and using fallacy as fact. This will always compel me to try to set things right or educate the possibly misinformed. And, oh my, this is super fun for me when it's about the traditions and processes of our government!

What does Inauguration Day mean to me? You've heard it over and over. The presidential inauguration is about the peaceful exchange of power. Its about one president elected by the people in a democratic system handing the reigns over to the next president elected by a democratic system. It isn't about who is elected specifically because, face it, there will never be 100% of the people happy about who was elected to be president. Inauguration Day, the "installment under good omens," is unique to the United States of America in it's deep rooted traditions and ceremony. Anywho...

To me, Inauguration Day in the United States of America is about unity. About patriotism. About peace. The day is reserved for ALL citizens to come together and witness a peaceful transition of power. It's about honoring those who came before and those who will come after. I cannot express enough how awe-inspiring it is for me to witness this dignified exchange whether I voted for the new president being sworn in or not. Someday I will make that trip to our nations capital on Inauguration Day to see this transition with my own eyes.

It didn't sit well with me we had 67 democratic members of Congress choose this day to sit out such an important ceremony. This group decided to override the sentiment and meaning of inauguration in favor of their personal feelings for the person being sworn in. The example set by this group, I fear, will hold those like minded to continue a negative campaign in an attempt to override our President's message of unity and patriotism. It will cause the valley of divisiveness to continue to widen with the rough river waters teeming with disdain, contempt, and derision. As far as the protests go, let them. As long as it's peaceful. When protests turn violent the messages changes though. Observers no longer see a group peacefully assembling to protest a single sentiment when the group turns violent or destructive. The violence removes the sentiment and twists it to a personal agenda, one designed solely for 15 minutes of fame, taking away the voice of the whole group. The focus then becomes on the violence and destruction and no longer the message. And to repeat a friend's point - Protesting is legal and a right. Rioting is not legal and not a right.

More side bar...Hoping for our President to fail is like hoping the United States of America fails. No American wants to see our nation fail. So just STAHP already!

I voted for President Trump as you all know. I voted for him because I believe he will make the changes he promises and if he screws up, I will sorrowfully admit I was wrong about him.

Now, the big question I leave for you...

If President Trump doesn't screw up, will you admit you were wrong about him?








No comments:

Post a Comment