Thursday, May 31, 2018

Knock, knock, knockin' on 50's door....

I have learned so much about nutrition and the metabolic process in the past two months. I didn't even realize, at first, my new healthy eating habits have a name. I was more about not eating sugar, grains, and starchy vegetables. I am all about the low carb life because flour and sugar is not food! It worked for me 8 years ago when I lost 92 pounds and I am resolute it will work for me again. 

After 8 weeks and 5 days this is what I have learned. 

First, I found I inadvertently chose a Ketogenic way of eating. This means I eat low carbs, good fats (all about the fats), and moderate protein. Carbs are derived from vegetables and the few fruits I eat. Sometimes cheese. There is a bunch of science backing this way of eating to be super healthy for the obese, diabetic, and epileptic populations. As a matter of fact, the diet was specifically designed to help epileptic people improve brain function and reduce seizures. Keto has also been found to reduce bad cholesterol, increase good cholesterol, reduce high blood pressure, blood sugars, and improve female fertility (No! That ship sailed in 1993). Not to mention, this way of eating has increased cognitive function for those who suffer from dementia and Alzheimer's due to the amount of good fats eaten. Ok, I'll take it! 

Second, there is sugar in every effing processed and prepackaged food known to man. In dressings. In processed meats like deli ham or turkey. Even bacon and seasonings! If you do find there is no sugar (specifically) in the ingredients there are other forms of sugar listed. Gah! You can't get away from it! At this point you end up spending much more $$$ on grass fed and/or organic foods to avoid the sugar. Our commercial food makers are trying to purposely keep us addicted to their brands by adding sugar as a top ingredient to everything they market. You are better off learning how to make your own buttermilk ranch or blue cheese dressing let alone using single spices to make the steak rub you like minus the sugar. Imagine my disappointment to find out my favorite seasoning has sugar as a second ingredient. MFers.

Third, as you get older weight loss comes at a glacial pace. It is S-L-O-O-O-W. Really, really, really slow. I keep stepping on the darned scale and it doesn't move for weeks then boom, three pounds down to a total of 15 in a little over 8 weeks. Not bad. I wish it were more but I am exercising now using weights mostly so the scale isn't going to show weight loss progress if I'm trading fat for muscle. We all know that drill. I do see my figure changing as in my middle isn't much an XXL marshmallow now. Instead of having one big Buddha belly I now have rolls again. I realize happiness in that kind of progress is kind of messed up, but hey, I am kinda starting to see a waistline again and that has me pumped! Still wearing the same clothes but they fit so much more comfortably. I am becoming less self conscious in fitted gym clothes but that is more a change in attitude than self perception. I like exercising now especially when those endorphins kick in. Comfortable work out clothes is essential to a good workout. And duh, I'm fat so suck it with your fat shaming thoughts when you see me sweating at the gym wearing Fabletics like I belong in them. You heard me. Kiss my ass 'cause you can't miss it! 

Fourth, my body seems to be healing from the inside out. The eczema patches on my face are gone. The rough and bumpy skin on my arms is virtually gone. Oily scalp has subsided. Dry skin is on the mend. Female issue not so much anymore though mood swings are still a mess. That has to be menopause. I have taken two little purple pills for acid reflux in the past two months. I was taking one of those a day with a Tums chaser before. Haven't had a migraine headache since I started watching my diet and cut out sugar and grains. I did have a bout with sinusitis from Hell but if I am not mistaken a ketogenic diet that results in ketosis means you are burning fat instead of sugar (insulin) for fuel which makes this a common thing. Great! But Why? I'll tell you why. Toxins and hormones are stored in your fat cells. When I started burning fat instead of sugar I got all kinds of sick and cranky and funky from the release of toxins. Yeah. I kinda sorta knew this would happen but boy did not expect it to hit me like a bus.

Fifth, it's not all that hard to get in to the groove of eating the right foods to fuel your body. I have a minuscule amount of cravings for sweets. I like eating eggs and bacon and salmon and rib eye steaks with butter and avocados and olives and cheese burgers and all beef hot dogs. Don't hold the cheese please! I found the trick for me is variety but keeping the staples of what I know I enjoy on hand. For instance, my version of bulletproof coffee. Drip coffee, grass fed butter, MCT oil, heavy whipping cream, a good mix with the portable froth wand and SHAZAM! Instant breakfast that holds my appetite for hours and gets my brain out of the fog. 

Y'all, this climb up the 50 hill sucks. Hopefully my newly developing habits make the climb easier. Soon. 




No comments:

Post a Comment