Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The old neighborhood and my favorite quotes...

I took a few days off from blogging. Since I am back in school working on my Master's degree my attention has been pulled in a different direction. I am very certain the attention problems I had growing up are what children are being diagnosed with now, ADD. I hyper focus on the wrong things or simply can't focus on anything for very long. I am the "I need to study, let me read some with the TV on, did he just say that, o-m-g those are cute shoes" kind of ADD. I begin my actions with the right intention and end up on something totally unrelated in about 10 seconds tops. On a fun note, I got my new Barbie lunch bag over the weekend. It works nicely with my Barbie coffee mug I use at work. The mug says, "I am not designed to do housework." Perfectly me!



The card I pulled on Friday the 3rd (day 5 or the 80 ways card game) reads, "Look up your childhood home on Google Earth." Well that's a hec of a challenge. Not. My thoughts went immediately to the first home we spent more than a couple years in. Remember, I am an Army brat. We moved from post to post every two to three years. It wasn't until we got to Florida that we finally settled in to a home and routine. I only had my brother for friendship until I was eight. Poor kid. So the first house we grew up in we lived in for 5 years. I looked it up on Google Earth as asked and, well, yeah it was the house. The only notable thing was that there were trees in the front and back yard that were not there in 1980. The surrounding homes appeared to need a good watering of the lawn. I guess the economic status of the neighborhood remained in the lower bracket since it seemed no one has figured out the lawn is not for parking. I will venture to say there were some great memories growing up there. This is the house I made race tracks for my matchbox cars and played "kill the man" with the neighborhood boys. There were also some horrible memories that have only been discussed in therapy. I guess good and bad comes from all life long experiences.

The second home we spent many years in happens to be the home Mom still resides. It is more home to me than anywhere else. More happier memories there than the previous address. When I found out we were moving I was excited mostly. The saddest part of it was leaving my friends behind. The great thing was we were only moving 10 miles away!

Life on the beach was much different than life in the hood. Some of the kids I later grew up with were privileged and spoiled. There was a smaller group, the ones I was able to connect with, that were raised a bit differently than the kids of lawyers and other high demand business professionals. Many experiences I look back at fondly. Re-run was my first BFF beach side then Wendall became my bestie soon after (not really their names...protecting the innocent...pssh LOL). Blondie was always around since middle school though she remained on the mainland. Red was always fun to hang with. Wow we got in some crazy trouble but always had great times together. Accept of course when we were having our knock down drag out teenage drama fights over who knows what. C'mon! the only things that mattered to me back then was being tan, riding my pink beach cruiser, and boys. Not always in that order. Boys usually came first. 

Card 6 of the 80 ways card game I drew this morning. This one reads, "Start a journal of quotes that inspire you." Um, I have a list on Facebook. Does that count? Sheesh! I post quotes or sayings that inspire me all the time. Well, inspire me to laugh mostly. My favorite quote of all time is, "Well-behaved women seldom make history." The quote is sometimes credited to Marilyn Monroe (I think she is credited with the quote using the word Rarely instead of Seldom-she must have been a reader) but is actually the title of a book by Laurel Thatcher Ulrich. The works covered the silent obscurity of women from colonial times. Ulrich was an early American history professor at Harvard supposedly.

On that note, piss off! And I will not be censored!



No comments:

Post a Comment