Monday, April 14, 2014

Moon is full!

Not that it matters. There isn't any empirical data that supports lunacy, craziness, or moods. We aren't effected by tides. Astrologers like to talk about moon cycles to help predict the best time to fall in love or worse time to sign contracts. Some scientists feel that our lunar cycles effect our sleep patterns. It takes us longer to fall asleep during a full moon including a few days before and after. We also supposedly wake up earlier than normal-about 20 minutes less. Deep sleep is hard to come by which also reduces melatonin levels thus making us feel more tired and depressed through the day.

Ok, so I think it's all bullshit. It doesn't have anything to do with the full moon. My take is it has everything to do with sleeping habits. Here's some background...until recently I slept alone every night. The couple years before I left my marriage I slept alone. Separate rooms - separate lives. Save a couple big bed hoggin' dogs once in a while I had my lovely king bed all to myself all night long. I was never one for snuggle sleeping. I don't care to be touched while I sleep. It makes me mad. I push away.

To me, sleeping with another person is as intimate as sex. You become vulnerable to the person you share your bed. A very different side of you is revealed during these nocturnal moments. Noises, movements, habits...please...I cannot be held responsible for the sounds that come out of me when I sleep. Seriously. I have woken myself up snoring, talking, grunting, and tooting. I can't control it. It just happens. It's mortifying to know that someone else may hear all that racket...someone that I love more than anything...poor Huckleberry.

So along with everything else that involves Huckleberry, I'm not the same woman with regard to old sleeping habits. I can't fall sleep unless I am touching him. When physical contact is broken I soon wake up and "look" for him. When he reaches for me in the night I draw him in. Poor guy probably doesn't sleep much when he's with me but he's just too kind to tell me. Everything is now opposite though. Even the side of the bed I sleep on. All I want is to be wrapped up with him like a pretzel. The nights in between our nights together, crap, I'm just uncomfortable. I can't fall asleep. I avoid going to bed because it's empty. Like right now. The night after a night together is the worst. It's excruciating. Ok, I'll stop whining...

As always,
M









No comments:

Post a Comment